Effective partnerships help to establish and develop teacher-librarians as professionals within the Queensland education sector.
SLAQ has initiated and supported numerous partnerships to establish teacher-librarians within Queensland education, ensuring they are seen as the professional teachers and vital assets they are within the school community.
By working with stakeholders such as Education Queensland, the Catholic Education Office, teachers, principals, networks of teacher-librarian colleagues, library aides, student assistants and parents, SLAQ and its members have worked to benefit learning outcomes for Queensland students and professional development for Queensland teacher-librarians.
SLAQ currently fosters partnerships with the following organisations:
- Joint Council of Queensland Teachers Association (JCQTA)
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT) - advisory course committee for courses in teacher-librarianship
- QUT - SLAQ/QUT collaborative research project, The influence of school libraries and teacher-librarians on students’ literacy development in Queensland schools (in progress)
- The Department of Education, Training and Employment (DETA) - Creating Future Libraries Group
- The Hub: Quality school libraries in Australia
- State Library of Queensland - National Year of Reading
- School Library Association of Victoria (SLAV)
The aim of this section of the web site is to list and provide links to other networks, including non-school, who provide library services to school libraries.
If your group is not listed contact the Web Manager with details.
SLAQ - School Library Association of Queensland. Regional Subcommittes in Brisbane & throughout Queensland meet regularly for business, sharing of ideas and providing professional development activities. To be involved in meetings join SLAQ.
IASL - The mission of the International Association of School Librarianship (IASL) is to provide an international forum for those people interested in promoting effective school library media programs as viable instruments in the educational process. IASL also provides guidance and advice for the development of school library programs and the school library profession. IASL works in cooperation with other professional associations and agencies. IASL Website
OZTL_NET - Australian discussion list for people involved in school libraries and read eagerly by many people from overseas. To be involved in the discussion join OZTL_NET.
QLDTL - Queensland Teacher Librarians Listserv. Anyone interested in joining the list will need to follow the instructions on the Education Queensland webpage.
- Choose the appropriate discussion group from the drop down menu.
- Fill in the required name and email address fields and send the request.
- If your email address qualifies for inclusion to the list you will receive a confirmation email with further instructions.
The UQL Cyberschool provides teachers and students in Queensland schools with access to quality electronic resources for effective teaching and learning.
Bayside Teacher-Librarian Network - Meetings each term. Network coordinator, Anita Guilfoyle .
CBCA (QLD) - Childrens Book Council of Australia (Queensland).
The Grove Network - Libraries in the Stafford/Geebung district. Network coordinator, Assunta Austin.
INSLINK - Independent Schools Libraries. Meet each term. Network coordinator, Lyndal Brimson.
NEWNET - For schools in the Western corridor of Brisbane. Meet once a term Network coordinator, John Byrne.
OASIS User Group - Meets each term at the Brisbane School of Distance Education.
QSITE - Queensland Society for Information Technology in Education
Stafford Teacher-librarians School Cooperative Network - Primary schools - Meets twice per term, Chris Griffiths
Stafford-Geebong Network - Secondary schools. Meets each term. Network coordinator, Janet Killer.
Regional Queensland Networks
Caboolture Teacher-Librarian Network - Network coordinator, Ann Gillespie
Gold Coast Primary Teacher-Librarians - Monthly meetings and professional development. Contact Lisa Carroll.
Pine Rivers & Peninsula Teacher-Librarians Network South East - Network coordinator, Andrew Hamson.
The Logan Beaudesert Teacher-Librarian Network - Meetings once a term.